- NIAH Ref: 50010082
- Date: 1790 - 1800
- Rating: National
- Orig. Use: House
- Townland: Portland Row
- County: Dublin City
- More Info: Click Here
Criteria for Risk
- Vacant with no identified new use
- Suffering from neglect and/or poor maintenance
- Fire damaged
- Condition of Structure: Very Poor
- Level of Risk: Critical
This building has been vacant for a number of years and does not appear to be maintained. Most of the external fabric remains, but there are obvious signs of deterioration, particularly water penetration, slipped slates and vegetation growth. There is no immediate danger of collapse but the condition is such that unless urgent remedial works are carried out the building will sharply deteriorate.
The last major Dublin Georgian Townhouse, second in size only to Leinster House was built from 1795 for the 2nd Earl of Aldborough. It was vacated circa 2000 and sold by the State. Two development proposals permitted have not proceeded. Major damage occurred to the roof valleys and gutters in 2010 with water saturation now seriously affecting the integrity of the building, which is highly visible on front and west elevations. Roof repairs have been carried out by Dublin City Council. A planning application is currently being prepared under new ownership.
Updated July 2018: In May 2018 planning permission was granted for the conversion of house into an office complex, despite criticism of the project by the Department of Heritage and conservation organisations. Reliance Investments Ltd plans to refurbish the 18th century Aldborough House on Portland Row for use as offices in addition to building two new five-storey “office wings” in its grounds.
Photograph Credit: Kevin Duff