- NIAH Ref: N/A
- Date: 1600 - 1620
- Rating: National
- Orig. Use: Fortified House
- Townland: Townparks
- County: Donegal
Criteria for Risk
- Suffering from neglect and/or poor maintenance
- Suffering from structural problems
- Abandoned ruin
- Condition of Structure: Ruinous
- Level of Risk: High
The building is a roofless shell. None of the original fabric remains other than the external walls. It is suffering from structural problems that could lead to full or partial collapse, and there is an immediate threat of further deterioration.
The Bishop's Palace is an early 17th century fortified mansion with four corner towers built by Bishop John Lestie. Some alterations were carried out in mid 18th century including a classical doorcase. It was left to ruin in the mid 19th century after the merging of the Diocese with Derry. The structure is of significant historic importance and requires conservation works to prevent further deterioration.
Photograph Credit: Murray Kerr (panaramio.com)