- NIAH Ref: 13401414
- Date: 1835 - 1850
- Rating: National
- Orig. Use: Country House
- Townland: Carrickglass Demesne (Longford By.)
- County: Longford
- More Info: Click Here
- Last Reviewed: August 2019
Criteria for Risk
- Vacant with no identified new use
- Suffering from neglect and/or poor maintenance
- Condition of Structure: Poor
- Level of Risk: High
This building has been vacant for a number of years and does not appear to be maintained. Most of the external fabric remains, but there are obvious signs of deterioration, particularly water penetration, slipped slates and vegetation growth. There is no immediate danger of collapse but the condition is such that unless urgent remedial works are carried out the building will sharply deteriorate.
Carriglass is an early 19th century Tudor revival house designed by Daniel Robertson and formerly the residence of the Lefroy Family. The late 18th century stable yard and main entrance gates are designed by James Gandon. There have been major residential developments proposed on the site in the past decade, however, it has largely stalled with only the first phase of housing having been constructed on the grounds. The use of main house and stables remains unresolved. According to a local newspaper the estate was sold to the Glennon Brothers in June 2014. This building urgently requires new uses to be identified to prevent further deterioration of its character.
Photograph Credit: Brendan Harte and Mary Morrissey