- NIAH Ref: 11816103
- Date: 1755 - 1760
- Rating: National
- Orig. Use: Charter School
- Townland: Monasterevin
- County: Kildare
- More Info: Click Here
Criteria for Risk
- Vacant with no identified new use
- Suffering from neglect and/or poor maintenance
- Condition of Structure: Poor
- Level of Risk: High
This building has been vacant for a number of years and does not appear to be maintained. Most of the external fabric remains, but there are obvious signs of deterioration, particularly water penetration, slipped slates, vegetation growth, broken windows and vandalism. There is no immediate danger of collapse but the condition is such that unless urgent remedial works are carried out the building will sharply deteriorate.
The former school, known locally as the Hulk, is seven bay pedimented from the mid 18th century and one of earliest educational institutions in the area which was sponsored by the Incorporated Society in Dublin for Promoting English Protestant Schools in Ireland. The building was altered to suit a warehouse function in circa 1870 with windows reduced in size. This building urgently requires new uses to be identified to prevent further deterioration of its character.
Photograph Credit: google.com/maps