- NIAH Ref: 41308026
- Date: 1780 - 1860
- Rating: Regional
- Orig. Use: Market House
- Townland: Market Square
- County: Monaghan
- More Info: Click Here
- Last Reviewed: August 2019
Criteria for Risk
- Vacant with no identified new use
- Suffering from neglect and/or poor maintenance
- Suffering from structural problems
- Threatened with demolition
- Condition of Structure: Fair
- Level of Risk: High
The building is only recently vacant but there is no identified new use. Although previously well maintained, it now requires repairs. There are signs of increasing neglect. There is no immediate danger of collapse but condition is such that unless urgent remedial works are carried out the building will sharply deteriorate.
The courthouse is a protected structure situated on a sloping site. Much of the structure dates from 1856. However, the building is built on top of the older Market House which dates from 1801, the remains of which can be seen on the bottom floor. It is currently owned by Monaghan County Council, it was in use by the Court Service and local library until the 1990’s. However since then it has remained vacant, and is in an advancing state of decay. This building is prominently located in the centre of the town. Finding an appropriate use for this building would not only be beneficial for the building itself, but for the town as a whole.
In 2019 the roof of the building was removed in order to stabilise the structure. The removal of the roof will allow the clearance of debris and the interior of the building.
Photograph Credit: google.com/maps