- NIAH Ref: 22803035
- Date: 1830 - 1850
- Rating: National
- Orig. Use: House
- Townland: Coolroe (Upp. By.) Clonagam Par.
- County: Waterford
- More Info: Click Here
Criteria for Risk
- Vacant with no identified new use
- Suffering from neglect and/or poor maintenance
- Condition of Structure: Ruinous
- Level of Risk: High
The building is a roofless shell. None of the original fabric remains other than the external walls. It is suffering from structural problems that could lead to full or partial collapse, and there is an immediate threat of further deterioration.
Adjoining former Malcomson Factory, Portlaw. Among the richest Irish Industrialists of the mid 19th century, the Quaker Malcomsons established Portlaw as a planned industrial town, with its own leather currency. Beside both the town and the cotton mill, they created the lushly planted grounds of Mayfield, with an Italianate style house with tall central campanile and long wings, designed in the 1840s by William Tinsley of Clonmel. Elaborate interior plasterwork, much of it gilded with carved fireplaces long destroyed. The house is now a derelict shell and the grounds neglected. The structure is of significant historic importance and requires conservation works to prevent further deterioration.
Conservation proposals being sought for house, under new ownership.
Updated: January 2017.
Photograph Credit: Waterford County Museum