Open Position: Natural Environment Casework Intern
The successful candidate will work closely with An Taisce's Advocacy Unit as an integral part of the Natural Environment Office. Practical experience will be gained in all facets of planning and environmental policy with a particular focus on afforestation and aquaculture licensing.
No practical experience is required; however, the applicant should be highly motivated and be able to demonstrate:
- An understanding of the public purpose underlying An Taisce and empathy with its vision, mission, goals and objectives;
- Basic knowledge and interest of planning and environmental policy issues particularly in relation to the natural environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Competence in MS Office applications.
Description of Role:
The role is expected to last for 6 months. The successful candidate will respond to cases arising affecting the natural environment as relevant, maintain a database of all casework as well as carrying out research for natural environment projects.
The intern will receive formal/informal training in the following:
- Ecological and conservation issues associated with the different sectors as well as relevant environmental policy.
- On completion the intern will have attained skills in research, analysis, and writing and will learn to communicate their work effectively.
- Administrative and organisational skills, time management and team work.
The position will be based at An Taisce's headquarters in Tailors' Hall, Back Lane, Christchurch, Dublin 8. The role will be part time, approximately 3 days a week, with flexible hours (negotiable). There is currently no funding available for this post.
Please forward your Cover Letter, CV and a sample of your written work to the Natural Environment Officer, Elaine McGoff, at firstname.lastname@example.org. The sample should be 500 to 2,500 words in length and can be an extract from a longer document. You have discretion over the piece you select (e.g. academic pieces, newspaper pieces, report for college assignments etc); there is no set format. Our aim is to assess your functional writing skills and areas of interest.