Submission to Southern Region RSES
8th March 2019
The overriding environmental issues facing the Region and relevant objectives can be summarised as follows:
- Climate Mitigation to achieve the level of emissions reduction action required under the Paris Agreement 2015 at Regional level.
- Climate adaptation to the increased storm and flood and animal fodder impact which the Region will face with global temperature average increase reaching 1.5 degrees.
- Applying UN Sustainable Development Goals (“SDGs”) at Regional level and UN New Urban Agenda to larger urban centres.
- Enhancing food security as well as low carbon and local food production networks.
- Achieving health and wellbeing standards with regard to access to clean air and water, services and recreation.
- Reducing resource consumption and waste generation advancing Circular Economy principles.
- Addressing the level of habitats and species with “Bad” or “Unfavourable “status as evaluated under the Habitats Directive.
- Poor food security and over-dependence on beef and dairy exports, which is having adverse biodiversity, water and ammonia impact, as well as on climate emissions.
- Ocean acidification, ocean plastic dispersal, and meeting marine eco system protection obligations of Marine Strategy Framework Directive (“MSFD”).
- Meeting EU Directives and other obligations on air, water quality, waste, nitrates and other chemicals.
- Addressing unsustainable settlement and transport generation patterns.
- Meeting objectives of Council of Europe Conventions on landscape, archaeology and architectural heritage.
- Enhancing general quality of life standards, such as reduction in commuting time and access to parks, recreational and sporting facilities.
- Giving consideration to all, including wellbeing of children and an aging population.