- NIAH Ref: 12000199
- Date: 1765 - 1770
- Rating: Regional
- Orig. Use: House/Infirmary
- Townland: Gardens (St. John's Par.)
- County: Kilkenny
- More Info: Click Here
- Last Reviewed: August 2019
Criteria for Risk
- Vacant with no identified new use
- Suffering from neglect and/or poor maintenance
- Condition of Structure: Poor
- Level of Risk: High
This building has been vacant for a number of years and does not appear to be maintained. Most of the external fabric remains, but there are obvious signs of deterioration, particularly water penetration, slipped slates, vegetation growth, broken windows and vandalism. There is no immediate danger of collapse but the condition is such that unless urgent remedial works are carried out the building will sharply deteriorate.
An elegantly-composed Classically-proportioned substantial building representing an important element of the mid eighteenth-century architectural heritage of Kilkenny on account of the status as one of the earliest-surviving purpose-built civic or health institutions in the area. Despite a number of subsequent renovation projects to accommodate alternative functions the building presents an early aspect with much of the historic fabric intact including to the interior where a mid eighteenth-century staircase remains in place, thereby contributing significantly to the character of the locality. This building urgently requires new uses to be identified to prevent further deterioration of its character.
Photograph Credit: N/A Local Association: Kilkenny