Planning

"Bad planning is not a victimless crime," commented Dr. Berna Grist of UCD recently. An Taisce engages in the planning process with a view to having law and policy properly applied, for the good of communities.

19th January 2005

Attribution: Dr. Mark Clinton of An Taisce’s National Monuments & Antiquities Committee. For further information, please call Ruadhan Mac Eoin at 086 8146077.

Aughrim: An Taisce notes that An Taoiseach and NRA were made aware by David Trimble and the Orange Order that M6 would damage battle site.

11th January 2005

Attribution: Dr. Mark Clinton of An Taisce's National Monuments & Antiquities Committee. For further information, please call Ruadhan Mac Eoin at 086 8146077.

Motorway plans for Aughrim battlefield site – An Taisce concerned by current plans & urges National Roads Authorities to rethink the M6 / Aughrim scheme.

Aughrim, Co. Galway : Battlefield site where 9000 died in 1691

18th September 2013

Implementing Government policy for a parking levy to help level the playing field between out-of-town retail outlets and town centre shops would yield at least €16m a year, An Taisce has told Government in its pre-budget submission.

In a detailed document, An Taisce has set out how the application of a retail parking levy at six of the largest out-of-town retail outlets near Dublin, Cork and Limerick cities could raise €16.68m, adding that 85% of the revenue could be directed to local government with the other 15% going to the central exchequer.

26th September 2013

The information coming from the UN IPCC 5th ASSESSMENT REPORT is overwhelming in communicating the scale of the global climate crisis. The lead must be taken by developed countries, including Ireland, to achieve the emission reductions that climate science requires. Ireland has no climate mitigation and adaptation strategy in place.

27th September 2013

The good news of the discovery of the remains of the Medieval house is ruined by the fact that Kilkenny County Council are planning to demolish it.

This Medieval Manse house is clearly an integral part of the St. Canice’s Cathedral complex. It ticks all of the legal boxes to qualify as a National Monument due to its historical, archaeological, architectural and cultural nature. An Taisce calls on the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht to declare it as such without delay.

2nd November 2013

EU to investigate Kilkenny road scheme.

EU Directorate General for the Environment has written to Independent MEP, Nessa Childers, confirming that it will investigate Kilkenny County Council’s proposal to demolish houses in Vicar Street, in Kilkenny City, to make way for a new road.

6th November 2013

Mr Birthistle was responding to recent media coverage of the issue, including a call by An Taisce to extend the campus of St James's to include the Coombe Women's Hospital and to relocate the project from St James's to land adjacent to the Coombe.

Scattered rural dwellings have costs that are externalised (i.e. passed on to the wider population). These costs may not be obvious and can hence remain hidden, unattributed to the character of rural settlement. As a consequence, these costs are rarely engaged with by proponents of a permissive approach to dispersed rural housing. The typical and well-rehearsed response of such proponents is that a widely scattered settlement pattern is ‘traditional’ and a characteristic feature of Irish heritage.

"Bogs," writes John Feehan, "are places of enchantment. This is due in large measure to the immense natural diversity of the peatland landscape, but also to its unique atmosphere. The bogs are great, open expanses with distant horizons. You feel drawn to them as though they awakened an echo deep within us of the open savannah landscapes in which our human kind had its origins several million years ago."

In May 2013 An Taisce launched judicial review proceedings in London to challenge the legality of UK Secretary of State Ed Davey’s decision to grant permission to build and operate a nuclear power station at Hinkley Point in the Bristol Channel, Somerset, 150 miles from the Irish coast. In papers issued in the High Court in London by lawyers Leigh Day, we challenged the legality of the decision by the UK Government with reference to (amongst other things) the EU's Environmental Impact Assessment Directive and the UK’s own regulations on transboundary impacts and consultation.

Pages

Subscribe to RSS - Planning