The Boyne Navigation Company began the construction of the Boyne Canal in about 1748, and over the next 50 years a series of bypassing canals were built to avoid the worst rapids and eventually stretched for 19 miles from Drogheda to Navan mostly on the southside. A feature of the tow path that was awkward for the horses and barges is that it changes from one side of the river to the other between Oldbridge and Broad Boyne Bridge (Stackallan). It was donated to An Taisce in 1969.
Check out the restoration of the navigation which is being carried out by Inland Waterways Association of Ireland.
Find Boyne events on the Meath Local Association page.